Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Connected

Why am I so computer/internet illiterate? Willem, the kid I watched this summer probably knew more than me. For instance, the post before this is all weird and I can't fix it. I don't really care. Whatever. Frustration!

I am now connected to the internet, but yesterday it was down for the entire Cite aka 10,000 people. Pissed, I tried to fix it myself (bad idea) and accidentally broke the port where the Ethernet cord goes into the wall? Punching/swearing at myself ensued. I was super nervous to tell the reception desk but I just acted all stupid and was like "oh, it broke! I don't know how" and I came home tonight and they had fixed it! I was so surprised because usually it takes longer to fix things here, like how it took them ten hours to get the internet to work yesterday.

It's weird how alone you can feel without the internet in a foreign country. Yes, I want it for stupid things like facebook or watching Top Chef online, but I feel so much more connected to everyone at home by staying in constant contact. I just felt lost all day without it as well as homesick. I can't imagine what it would have been like living abroad without the internet or phone. I guess you would integrate yourself more, but I think I would have been really homesick too.

No comments:

Post a Comment